Hey Peeps! The world is beautiful today. I love when its the perfect weather and I can just throw the windows open and let the cool breeze whip through the house. It smells amazing, makes everything feel fresh and alive, sigh... the best. September is a great month to live in the upper USA. We are north, but not so north that its friggin freezing (at least not yet)!I promised on my Google+ page that I would tell about my smoothie I had yesterday morning. I actually had it again today it was so good! First, lets talk, why smoothies you ask? Well;
- I have never gone hard core on smoothies before. Sure, I've had them, but I never had on a regular basis.
- It seems like a good, easy way to incorporate more veggies in my diet. I have a hard enough time as it is eating well, and while I do love veggies, convenience will tend to win in our household when it comes to what Mom and Dad are eating. Dinner is not that hard, we eat as a family so the table is full of goodness. I find it the hardest with Breakfast and Lunch.
- There is a lot of smoothies being made, along with juicing, and I am not ashamed to admit, I can get caught up in a fad quick! LOL
So lets take a look at some smoothie info: **please note, most of this focuses on green smoothies**
Some people are really into the Green Smoothie movement. I found this website called Raw Family and they had a really interesting article about guidelines for green smoothies. I took this excerpt from their article:
- "Drink your smoothie by itself, and not as a part of a meal. Don’t consume anything, even as little as a cracker or candy with it. You may eat anything you want approximately 40 minutes before or 40 minutes after you finished your smoothie. Your goal is to get the most nutritional benefit out of your green smoothie."
I find that to be interesting a good to know. It seems to make sense that you would want to have your digestive system concentrate on all that goodness instead of wasting its time trying to break down a piece of toast as well. This article was full of great info. Check it out.
"They Trick You Into Being Healthier" is what an article on the site lifehack.org had to say.Even if you don't so smoothies, you have to be down with the idea that doing anything different and healthy is going to make a change in your life. I set a goal to start the week off by replacing Breakfast and Lunch with smoothies. I will report on how well I do. I did practice a bit over the weekend...
"On top of that, one purposely healthy action makes it more likely that you’ll do other healthy things, because the human mind just loves to be consistent. So drink that green smoothie and you’ll feel more inclined to try other recipes or get some exercise, too! "
My smoothies tend to be on the whatever I think of to through in the blender scale! LOL My smoothie from the post was:
- 1/4 cup Orange Juice
- 1/3 cup of Water
- 1 cup fresh Spinach
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/3 cup Pineapple **these measurements are not entirely accurate**
Now this smoothie is not a meal replacement. This was one I drank first thing in the morning. I also had a piece of whole grain oatmeal toast with avocado and scrambled egg whites on top.
Oh my gosh this blog is long. So, that is it. We shall see how this week goes. Hopefully I will report I stuck to my goal. :) Later!